While CenterPoint Energy has restored power to more than 1.33 million customers after Hurricane Ike knocked the lights out across most of Houston last week, there are approximately 803,000 customers still in the dark. Among the remaining residents without power are a few friends and family members. Fortunately, they’ve been able to pick up generators and get a hold of some gas, so they aren’t completely in the dark. It looks like most of the remaining areas should have power back by the end of this week.
If you’ve got electricity (which I’m assuming you do if you’re reading this), check out this roundup of my favorite articles from the past week.
- Comparing Auto Insurance Rates at Green Panda Treehouse
- Why Is College Expensive? at Spilling Buckets
- Living Without Shampoo at Poorer Than You
- Unexpected Charges, or A Day in My Life at This Writer’s Wallet
- Confession at MFA or Bust
- The End of the World As We Know It: National Bankruptcy! at Debit versus Credit
- The New Plastic: Prepaid Debit Cards at College Finance 101
- Financial Relationship Deal Breakers at The World of Wealth
I also participated in a couple of carnivals this past week, so check them out for more great personal finance articles.
- Carnival of Personal Finance at The Personal Financier
- Finance Fiesta at Our Fourpence Worth
- Carnival of Debt Reduction at Mighty Bargain Hunter