BOO! Happy Halloween! Now give me some candy.
While most college students grow out of trick-or-treating, they usually grow into something else — partying. Of course, it’s not a party without some tunes, and it’s not a Halloween party unless the tunes are scary, spooky, cheesy, sexy, weird, awesome, gruesome, or some combination of all of those words I just used.
Here are 20 songs to help you get into the Halloween spirit, or, if you’re hosting a party, some songs to throw onto your last-minute Halloween party playlist. Click play to hear clips of the songs as you read through the list.
1. “Monster Mash” by Bobby ‘Boris’ Pickett
A Halloween classic. If there’s one song you hear every Halloween, it’s this. Some love it. Some hate it. Some love to hate it. Some hate to love it. I love it so much that I hate it.
2. “Monster Mash” by The Misfits
If the original “Monster Mash” puts you to sleep, then you should check out The Misfits cover of the song. Punk rock rules!
3. “Thriller” by Michael Jackson
Halloween isn’t complete without some Michael Jackson. Can you think of anything scarier than Michael Jackson?
4. “Nightmare on My Street” by DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince
Will Smith is the sh*t.
5. “Ghostbusters” by Ray Parker Jr.
I ain’t afraid of no ghost. Who you gonna call?
6. “This Is Halloween” by Panic! At The Disco
This song from The Nightmare Before Christmas will definitely help set the mood for a haunting Halloween party.
7. “Psycho Killer” by Talking Heads
The name of the song should be enough to convince you that this should be on your Halloween playlist.
8. “(Don’t Fear) The Reaper” by Blue Oyster Cult
9. “Hell” by Squirrel Nut Zippers
Even people who don’t like weird music will enjoy this eclectic tune. Otherwise, they’ll face “the D and the A and the M and the N and the A and the T and the I-O-N.”
10. “Time Warp” from The Rocky Horror Show
Is any party complete without a song that includes dance step instructions as part of the lyrics?
11. Theme from The Exorcist by Mike Oldfield
If creepy is what you’re going for, then this is your song.
12. “Li’l Red Riding Hood” by Sam the Sham
Creepy, but in a different way. Owooooooo!
13. “Werewolves of London” by Warren Zevon
Does the song include howling? Check! This song has been approved for Halloween. Ahoooo!
14. “Bad Moon Rising” by Creedence Clearwater Revival
You can’t go wrong with CCR.
15. “The Devil Went Down To Georgia” by The Charlie Daniels Band
Any song that involves a fiddle, a duel, and the Devil has to be Halloween worthy.
16. “Dracula’s Wedding” by Outkast
Believe it or not, “Hey Ya!” isn’t Outkast’s only song. Expand your horizons and put this kickass vampire tune on your Halloween playlist.
17. “Everday Is Halloween” by Ministry
Nothing like some classic 80s industrial music. This is the perfect song to get the dance floor rocking at a Halloween party.
18. “Pet Sematary” by The Ramones
Did I mention that punk rock rules?
19. “Bela Lugosi’s Dead” by Bauhaus
Just listen to the song and you’ll understand why it should be on your Halloween playlist.
20. “Zombie” by The Cranberries
With its simple, repetitive lyrics, this classic 90s song is great for a drunken Halloween sing-a-long.