Welcome to the 115th edition of the Festival of Frugality! If there’s one thing that college teaches us, it’s how to pinch every penny. When I hear the word frugality, there’s only one picture that pops into my mind.
Photo by notashamed
The first five articles are my favorite submissions from this week. The rest of the submissions are listed in chronological order, from earliest to latest.
- Andy at Tight Fisted Miser shares an exercise and frugality hack that is sure to put a smile on your face. Be sure to check it out for a good laugh!
- Becky at Family and Finances provides step-by-step advice on getting the best deal on airline tickets. Read this article before you buy your next airline tickets.
- Have you ever thought, “Hey, I can afford 5 payments of $9.99, no problem!” while not noticing that the full price of what you are thinking of buying is actually $50? David warns about The Affordable Monthly Payments Syndrome at My Two Dollars.
- Did you know that restaurants, bakeries, stores, etc. throw away perfectly good items in their dumpsters? Amanda reminisces on dumpster diving in college at Me vs Debt.
- FANDD explains how being cheap can hurt your career at Go To The Ant. Read about three frugal habits and where to draw the line before you potentially hurt your career.
- Steward presents a personal account of Frugal Frustrations at My Family’s Money. Sometimes frugality can be frustrating.
- N. & J. presents The Making of Homemade Soap Making at Bad Human! Don’t take chemicals from strangers!
- Kris discusses how to Save Money on Seasonings: MYOM (Make Your Own Mix) at Cheap Healthy Good.
- Lisa Spinelli explains When Buying Organic Pays Off and Doesn’t at Greener Pastures: Personal Finance.
- NtJS at not the jet set presents More Everyday Frugal. Some tips on how to be more frugal in everyday life.
- kellys presents Top 10 times not to shop at Thrifty Mommy. Timing can have a big impact on how much you spend.
- poetloverrebelspy explains The Art of Being a Gracious Houseguest at Less Than a Shoestring. Staying as a house guest is one of the easiest ways to save money when traveling.
- Deborah from Pennies To Nickels talks about why you shouldn’t throw out those Plastic Containers yet.
- FMF presents Six Extreme Ways to Save at Free Money Finance. Would you be willing to ditch the cell phone?
- Want to get in shape but don’t want to spend money on a gym membership? Aryn describes How to Create a Frugal Exercise Club at Sound Money Matters.
- Mr. Cheap presents Life Without Wheels at Quest For Four Pillars. Would you be able to live life without wheels?
- Alison asks What Do You Freeze? at This Wasn’t in The Plan. Save money by freezing things instead of throwing them out.
- Aussie Investor at Money Management Personal Finance Blog answers the question, “What Is Personal Finance?“
- BeThisWay presents Costco’s American Express Rebates Get Even Better at Are You Going To Be This Way The Rest of The Time I Know You?.
- Erica Burgan investigates Whole Chicken vs. Boneless, Skinless Breasts – Is It Really More Frugal? at The Sojourner.
- Thinking about a Refund Anticipation Loan? Think twice. Cash Money Life explains why Refund Anticipation Loans Suck at Cash Money Life.
- Christine shares how to visit Barcelona on the Cheap at Me, My Kid and Life: An American Single Mom Living in France.
That concludes this week’s Festival of Frugality. Next week’s festival will be hosted by Green Panda Treehouse.